[Video Production] A Local Hero

In October 2017, I was approached by the Chatteris branch of the Royal British Legion (RBL) to help document the Commemoration Service of Victoria Cross recipient Private George Clare who grew up in the town.

This is the biggest project I have undertaken since starting the business. The initial brief sounded straight forward enough, but the more I thought about it and started planning, it quickly became apparent that this would be would be more complex. 

I was not going to be able to film the whole event by myself. The event was happening in different locations and moving between them as the parade marches. Staying ahead would be difficult. 

So I contacted two other cameramen, one of which is also a sound man which meant he could look after the audio recordings of the event. This would leave me free to concentrate on the filming and co-ordinating the team. 

The Parade started on Clare Street at the location of where George Clare lived where a blue plaque was unveiled passing by the Fire Station to take a salute and arriving at the memorial, followed by a church service. 

Once filmed on three cameras, a lot of the time with the editing was matching them all together and working out the best bits from each. 

Once completed the next step was to design the cover for the DVD that would be given to the people involved. I had to decide which Adobe software to use to create the cover. In the end I settled on inDesign. After speaking to printers whom I was going to use they sent me the template I could use. 

I found using inDesgn was reasonably straight forward although I have used Photoshop lots. I was quite pleased with my first attempt and how the product was slick. 

I handed over the printing and burning to March Stationary and Print who turned the job around in 3 days with the order of the first 60 copies. 


The DVD will go on sale for anyone else for £5.00 through the website with part of the money going back to help the Chatteris branch of the RBL who do a lot of great work. 

There are two articles in the Cambs Times about the event for more information:

18 Apr 2017
Chatteris Royal British Legion awarded £10,000 for research project in memory of Victoria Cross winner George Clare

3 Dec 2017
War hero who carried wounded soldiers to safety in World War One is remembered in Chatteris

Comments